    Subjectradeonfb driver doesn't properly configure DVI monitor (2.6.8.1)
    I have an older Radeon 8500 LE on my dual Opteron box. The radeonfb
    driver doesn't properly configure the DVI monitor output on startup. The
    analog output looks okay, but the DVI output is covered with redish
    noise that gets progressively worse as the system runs. It looks like
    some PLL or DLL is not being configured correctly. The monitor reports
    the correct resolution and refresh rate, so at least hsync/vsync timing
    is correct. The right edge of the image contains a fixed pattern that
    moves with screen scroll. Also, the last 5-10 lines of the analog output
    contains a series of random colored characters. It looks like the text
    buffer isn't being fully cleared (the LCD panel I'm using is 1920x1200).

    X (xorg) properly configures the DVI, but when I switch back to the
    console, the output looks less broken but still contains a fairly strong
    RGB noise pattern.

    On boot the radeonfb driver reports:
    radeonfb: Invalid ROM signature 0 should be 0xaa55
    radeonfb: Retreived PLL infos from BIOS
    radeonfb: Reference=27.00 MHz (RefDiv=12) Memory=275.00 Mhz,
    System=275.00 MHz
    radeonfb: Monitor 1 type DFP found
    radeonfb: EDID probed
    radeonfb: Monitor 2 type CRT found
    radeonfb: EDID probed
    radeonfb: ATI Radeon QL DDR SGRAM 64 MB

    Another curious point is that the DVI output doesn't work at all from
    the BIOS, which means I have to switch to the analog output to boot. I
    updated the firmware on the graphics card, but that made things worse,
    the noise problem showed up in the BIOS and starting X didn't fix the
    noise (so I reverted to the previous version). ATIs response to this was
    that it was a BIOS problem and then that the card was old.

    Has anyone else seen similar problems? I haven't tried compiling with
    CONFIG_FB_RADEON_DEBUG, but I think that should be the next thing.

    --Clem

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.036 / U:0.424 seconds]