Subject[RFC]Kexec based crash dumping
Hi,

The patches that follow contain the initial implementation for kexec based
crash dumping that we are working on. I had sent this to the fastboot mailing
list a couple of weeks ago and this set of patches includes the changes made as
per feedback from Andrew, Eric and others.

Main Idea

- Whenever a panic occurs, reboot to a new kernel using kexec using a small
amount of memory (16MB). The rest of the memory is preserved across the
reboot.
- In the second kernel, the memory contents from the failed kernel is
available as an ELF format file for write-out.

Details on the design and implementation and on how to setup this facility
are available in the first of the patches that follow. The patches have
been made for the 2.6.8.1 kernel.

Kindly review these patches and provide feedback.

Thanks to Martin Bligh and Suparna for the design ideas and to Adam Litke
who hacked up most of the memory preserving reboot code and the dump
device abstraction code.

Regards, Hari
--
Hariprasad Nellitheertha