SubjectRe: Linux Serial ATA (SATA) status report
Date
// Andreas J:

> > Date: 2004-07-09 8:17:21
> > IIRC Plextor is shipping dvd burners with SATA
> > interface.

http://www.plextor.be/products/dvd_recorders/px-712sa.asp?choice=PX
-712SA
> > Any idea whether or not these will work?

Will Linux find and name a SATAPI device?

Every 2.4 Linux I've tried connects with the SATAPI device I have.
Knoppix Linux 2.4, my own kernel, etc. Seemingly the 2.4 cdrom and
ide-cd driver modules connect to SATAPI, same as PATAPI. But 2.6
introduces CONFIG_BLK_IDE_SATA. drivers/ide/Kconfig explains why.

In my newbie ignorance, me, I think that explanation means to say that,
by make defconfig, as yet you don't get SATAPI in 2.6, but you can
still ask for it to work as well in 2.6 as in 2.4, except if you do ask
for SATAPI you might lose SATAPI anyhow by losing support for the
unusual SATA host you have. However, I'm confident other people here
in linux-ide understand this far far better than I.

Pat LaVarre
http://linux-pel.blog-city.com/read/742498.htm

P.S. What effects the ide-scsi and ide-floppy driver modules might have
with SATAPI, I do not know.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.337 / U:2.088 seconds]