    SubjectRe: eth*: transmit timed out since .27
    Hello Len,

    Len Brown wrote:

    > Oliver,
    > I'm glad that turning off "pci=noacpi" fixed your system.
    > I don't know why the legacy irqrouter didn't work, but
    > as ACPI works, I'm not going to worry about it;-)

    Well, it did work with 2.4.26, but I agree that it's better to get the
    new stuff to work correctly. ;) I just noticed that /proc/interrupts and
    /proc/pci, lspci still disagree on the IRQ of the IDE device.

    CPU0
    0: 112337 IO-APIC-edge timer
    1: 2 IO-APIC-edge keyboard
    8: 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
    9: 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
    14: 9296 IO-APIC-edge ide0
    15: 9078 IO-APIC-edge ide1
    17: 24 IO-APIC-level eth1
    18: 125085 IO-APIC-level eth0
    21: 0 IO-APIC-level usb-uhci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci
    22: 0 IO-APIC-level via82cxxx
    23: 2976 IO-APIC-level eth2
    NMI: 0
    LOC: 112313
    ERR: 0
    MIS: 42

    vs.

    00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
    VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    Subsystem: Unknown device 1849:0571
    I/O ports at fc00 [size=16]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    This probably has to do with this boot message:
    PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:11.1

    I have found absolutely nothing that explains if this is an error or
    just some sort of debug message one can ignore.

    > I expect the "acpi=off" experiment would behave the same as
    > "pci=noacpi", but it looks like in your experiment you
    > mis-spelled that parameter as apci=off, so instead it was the
    > same as the default ACPI-enabled case.

    Oh, thanks for noticing. Stupid me.

    > Re: lots of interrupts on the same IRQ.
    > There are boot params to balance out the IRQs in PIC mode,
    > but what you want to do on this system is enable the IOAPIC
    > in your kernel config. The existence of the MADT in your
    > ACPI tables suggests you may have one. An IOAPIC will bring
    > additional interrupt pins to bear, usually allowing
    > the PCI interrupts to use IRQs > 16 where they may
    > not have to share so much.

    Ok, I've turned on the IOAPIC and it seems to work perfectly fine.
    Except for that IRQ 255 thing I've noticed no oddities. Thanks for the
    hint. :)

    cu
    Oliver

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:6.839 / U:0.088 seconds]