    SubjectRe: x86 - Realmode BIOS and Code calling module
    On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 03:38:45PM +0200, Jakub Vana wrote:

    > > Why is this better than LRMI in user mode.
    > I was now looking on LRMI. It must be a nice code, but It is still
    > only V86 emulation. I have listen that some BIOSes use something
    > called Unreal mode, that is realmode with segment registers used like
    > in protected mode. There is only one way, how to set this segregs -
    > switch to prot. mode, but if the BIOS try to switch when is running in
    > V86 CPU generates #GP (Global Protection fault). Not if it is running
    > in real Real Mode.

    Well, if it's running an emulated CPU (x86emu), there are no problems
    with that. Even the unreal mode could be emulated, although I have yet
    to see a BIOS which uses that to handle an INT call.

    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs, SuSE CR

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.036 / U:4.404 seconds]