    SubjectRe: module.viomap support for ppc64
    On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 19:40, Olaf Hering wrote:
    > On Fri, Aug 13, Rusty Russell wrote:
    > > 2) Please modify scripts/mod/file2alias.c in the kernel source, not the
    > > module tools. The modules.XXXmap files are deprecated: device tables
    > > are supposed to be converted to aliases in the build process, and that
    > > is how userspace tools like hotplug are to find them.
    > I found no user of the modules.alias file. Hotplug still uses the map
    > files. Parsing one big file will not improve performance, but thats a
    > different story.

    You don't use the modules.alias file. You simply "modprobe vio:xyz^abc"
    and modprobe reads modules.alias if necessary (the user can also insert
    aliases in the modprobe.conf file, for example). Note that fnmatch is
    used, so you can actually use ? and * in your generated aliases.

    > A hack for 2.6.8-rc4 is below. Can I read the alias file via
    > while read a b c ; do : done < modules.alias ?
    > Is b supposed to contain not spaces? What special delimiter chars are
    > allowed? The 'name' and 'compat' property can contain almost any char.
    > I used '^' for the time being.

    Spaces are probably a bad idea, yes. ^ is a little odd, but probably
    not a bad choice. You could even use a full: "vio:name:%s:compat:%s" if
    you wanted to.

    > > 3) I will still accept patches to module-init-tools if required for 2.4
    > > compatibility, but they will be going away at some point!
    > Noone cares about that old junk.

    Shh... Marcelo might get offended 8)

    Patch looks fine...
    Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an idiot -- Rusty Russell

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.021 / U:64.840 seconds]