SubjectRe: Linux SATA RAID FAQ
Date
On Thursday 12 August 2004 14:38, you wrote:
> In article <20040812113413.GA19252@alpha.home.local> you wrote:
> > I like it. It's fairly simple. I'm always amazed how many people do
> > really believe that these cards provide hardware RAID !!! The problem is
> > when you ask a reseller to add a real hardware RAID card in a system you
> > purchase and you end up with a cheap silicon image... It happened to us
> > once and it's not funny at all.
>
> Speaing of that, does that mean that other OSes (i.e. Windows) are using
> BIOS provided code to do raid, or do they also have raid software drivers
> and the bios is only used on bootup for signature detection and formatting?
>
> Greetings
> Bernd

Windows also has "software drivers". Since vendors provide drivers
independently of Microsoft, they can put precisely what they like in them.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

personal: alistair()devzero!co!uk
university: s0348365()sms!ed!ac!uk
student: CS/AI Undergraduate
contact: 1F2 55 South Clerk Street,
Edinburgh. EH8 9PP.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.084 / U:0.068 seconds]