SubjectRe: Scheduler fairness problem on 2.6 series
Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
> Con Kolivas wrote:
> | I tried this on the latest staircase patch (7.I) and am not getting any
> | output from your script when tested up to 60 threads on my hardware. Can
> | you try this version of staircase please?
> |
> | There are 7.I patches against 2.6.8-rc4 and 2.6.8-rc4-mm1
> |
> | http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.8/
>
> Hi,
>
> I just updated to 2.6.8-rc4-ck2 and tried the two options interactive
> and compute. Is the compute stuff functional? I tried setting it to 1
> within X and after that X wasn't usable anymore (meaning it looked like
> locked up, frozen/gone mouse cursor even). I managed to switch back to
> console and set it to 0 and all was OK again.

Compute is very functional. However it isn't remotely meant to be run on
a desktop because of very large scheduling latencies (on purpose).

> The interactive to 0 setting helped me with runnign locally multiple
> processes using mpi. Nevertheless (only with interactive 1 regression to
> vanilla scheduler, else same) can't this be enhanced?

I don't understand your question. Can what be enhanced?

> Details: I am working on a load balancing class using mpi. For testing
> purpises I am running multiple processes on my machine. So for a given
> problem I can say, it needs x time to solve. Using more processes opn a
> single machine, this time (except communication and balancing overhead)
> shouldn't be much larger. Unfortunately this happens. Eg. a given
> probelm using two processes needs about 20 seconds to finish. But using
> 8 it already needs 47s (55s with interactiv set to 1). No, my balancing
> framework is quite good. On a real (small, even larger till 128 nodes
> tested) cluster overhead is just as low as 3% to 5%, ie. it scales quite
> linearly.

Once again I dont quite understand you. Are you saying that there is
more than 50% cpu overhead when running 8 processes? Or that the cpu is
distributed unfairly such that the longest will run for 47s?

> Any idea how to tweak the staircase to get near the 20 seconds with more
> processes? Or is this rather a problem of mpich used locally?

Compute mode is by far the most scalable mode in staircase for purely
computational tasks. The cost is that of interactivity; it is bad on
purpose since it is a no-compromise maximum cpu cache utilisation policy.

> If you like I can send you my code to test (beware it is not that small).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Prakash

Cheers,
Con