SubjectRe: Possible dcache BUG
Date
On Tuesday 10 August 2004 00:12, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Sunday 08 August 2004 14:39, Andrew Morton wrote:
>>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> On Thursday 05 August 2004 23:24, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]

Linus, I hate to be a killjoy on this, but I just had to reboot again,
it was killing processes, even first the shells I had open then kmail
and X this time, but with nothing in the logs, and when X had quit, a
top in the launching shell reported nearly 250 megs free with nothing
in the swap.

So I'm not getting any usefull data, the machine is dog slow:
real 17m51.460s
user 13m11.201s
sys 1m34.718s

That should have been 6 minutes maximum.

I got rc4 as the whole thing just now, maybe there was something wrong
with the 2.6.7 base I was using. Thats rare since I quit getting
the .bz2's, switching to tar.gz's which seem to be the more
dependable format here.

>>> I had to reboot late last night, out of memory and things (like
>>> mozilla (1.7.2) were dying, but nothing in the logs.
>>
>>Please wait for it to happen again, then send the contents of
>>/proc/meminfo, /proc/slabinfo and then do
>>
>> su
>> dmesg -c
>> echo m > /proc/sysrq-trigger
>> dmesg > foo
>>
>>and send foo as well.

The above was not available (X wouldn't restart), and trying to print
from any kde app causes the app, and its launcher, to exit. So I
don't have a paper copy and my memory isn't photographic, please
accept my apologies on this. Maybe rc4 will also do it. We'll find
out I guess. Reboot time again.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.109 / U:0.040 seconds]