On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:27:13 +0200 (CEST)
Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> >From: Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw@ithnet.com>
> >> Indeed! Altough minor things could be better with Debian too, Debian is
> >the> only true Open Source Linux distribution. Other distributions modify
> >programs> without reason and do not cooperate with the original authors :-(
>
> >Would you mind to stop your general accusations against "other
> >distributions" and your talking for people (i.e. authors) that you don't
> >know or haven't talked to in your whole lifetime.
>
> >Fortunately everybody can decide for himself what distro he likes best. And
> >if someone thinks he has to modify the original GPL source, then he should
> >do. If you don't like that, don't use GPL, because the right to modify
> >foreign sources is a major part of it.
>
> You seem to forget that the main problems are:
>
> - These distributions do not talk with the original Authors which
> demonstrates that they do not like to benefit from OSS.

"My car is blue, that's why it rains tommorrow."
I can very well understand why some people refuse to talk to you, but I cannot
really see the relation to OSS in general.
Really, have you listened to yourself lately: "Commercial distros do not like
to benefit from OSS." ???
How do you define their primary goal, arguing with Joerg Schilling, or what?

> - The modified versions of cdrtools found in distributions are _all_
> worse than the original. As some of the distributions (e.g. SuSE)
> even published versions known to be defective, they violate
> the GPL (subsection 6 of the preamble).

Has there been one single day in your life where you accepted someone elses
opinion, differing from yours ?
It is obvious _for me_, that programmers at SuSE think your software needs some
changes and try to improve it according to their ideas. It is _your_ problem
that you cannot accept their point of view, not theirs'.
If you see GPL violation, sue them. If you don't want your software to be
changed in any way, don't use GPL.

Regards,
Stephan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.066 / U:0.504 seconds]