    On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 04:16, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> writes:
    >
    > >> Last time I gave
    > >> superuser privilege to cdrecord it locked my machine - clearly it wasn't
    > >> rt_task safe.
    > >
    > > So, you've been working on the scheduler anyway...
    > > An option to reserve some portion of CPU time for
    > > emergency use (say, 5% after 1 second has passed)
    > > would let somebody get out of this situation.
    >
    > Another option would be an Alt-Sysrq-something that lowered all RT
    > processes to normal levels.

    I hate to derail a good flame-fest, but this would be extremely useful,
    for more than burning CDs. Anytime you are dealing with a SCHED_FIFO
    process a bug can lock the machine, this would be useful for hacking
    jackd for example.

    If someone wants to code this up I and the other people on jackit-devel
    would gladly test it.

    Lee

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:5.037 / U:0.592 seconds]