SubjectRe: Some cleanup patches for: '...lvalues is deprecated'
On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:41:53AM +0200, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> Did you know that there is a larger gcc-3.4 fixes patch:
> <http://www.csd.uu.se/~mikpe/linux/patches/2.4/patch-gcc340-fixes-v4-2.4.27-rc3>
> ?
>
> This patch handles all issues when using gcc-3.4 to compile
> the current 2.4 kernel, of which cast-as-lvalue is just one.
> The only difference, AFAIK, is that gcc-3.4 "merely" warns
> about cast-as-lvalue while gcc-3.5 errors out on them.
>
> All changes in the gcc-3.4 fixes patch are backports from
> the 2.6 kernel, except in very few cases when 2.4 and 2.6
> have diverged making slightly different fixes more appropriate
> for 2.4.

BTW:

Please don't include the compiler.h part of your patch.
It's already reverted in -mm, and we're currently fixing the inlines
in 2.6 .

This was started after with this patch in 2.6 somewhere a required
inlining did no longer occur (and a compile error is definitely better
than a potential runtime problem).

Although fixing it correctly touches at about three dozen files, these
are pretty straightforward patches (removing inlines or moving code
inside files). After all these issues are sorted out in 2.6, the inline
fixes could be backported to 2.4 .

> /Mikael

cu
Adrian