    SubjectRe: Maximum frequency of re-scheduling (minimum time quantum ) que stio n
    Con Kolivas <> wrote:
    > Andrew Morton writes:
    > > Nick Piggin <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> However well tested your scheduler might be, it needs several
    > >> orders of magnitude more testing ;) Maybe the best we can hope
    > >> for is compile time selectable alternatives.
    > >
    > > At this stage in the kernel lifecycle, for something as fiddly as the CPU
    > > scheduler we really should be 100% driven by problem reporting.
    > >
    > > If someone can identify a particular misbehaviour in the CPU scheduler then
    > > they should put their editor away and work to produce a solid testcase.
    > > Armed with that, we can then identify the source of the particular problem.
    > >
    > > It is at this point, and no earlier, that we can decide what an appropriate
    > > solution is. We then balance the risk of that solution against the severity
    > > of the problem which it solves and make a decision as to whether to proceed.
    > >
    > > Right now, the ratio of quality bug reporting to scheduler patching is
    > > bizarrely small.
    > Is "for fun" not reason enough?

    Sure. "For 2.7" is a good reason, too.

    > I'm still keeping an eye out for firm "behavioural" bug reports on 2.6 and
    > would discuss or address them.

    OK, thanks.

    > Seriously the only reason I went down the rewrite path was to address
    > complaints about the complexity of the current design. It was also an
    > opportunity to start implementing some requested features. I certainly have
    > never suggested it should even be considered for 2.6.

    Yeah, I tend to think that the CPU scheduler is currently 90% good enough,
    and does seem to have become rather opaque.

    I wouldn't mind having a new "for fun" scheduler in -mm, except there's
    ongoing futzing with the current one to be sorted out.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.031 / U:95.268 seconds]