    SubjectRe: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch
    Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > as most of you are probably aware of it, there have been complaints on
    > lkml that the 2.6 kernel is not suitable for serious audio work due to
    > high scheduling latencies (e.g. the Jackit people complained). I took a
    > look at latencies and indeed 2.6.7 is pretty bad - latencies up to 50
    > msec (!) can be easily triggered using common workloads, on fast 2GHz+
    > x86 system - even when using the fully preemptible kernel!
    >
    > to solve this problem, Arjan van de Ven and I went over various kernel
    > functions to determine their preemptability and we re-created from
    > scratch a patch that is equivalent in performance to the 2.4 lowlatency
    > patches but is different in design, impact and approach:
    >
    > http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.7-bk20-H2

    Looks nice.

    I think you may have mixed up your trees. I think this change is the cfq
    bad allocation fix which I dont think is part of your voluntary
    preemption patch:

    --- linux/drivers/block/cfq-iosched.c.orig
    +++ linux/drivers/block/cfq-iosched.c

    Otherwise, cheers! I'll give it a bit of a run and see what numbers come up.

    Con

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.023 / U:61.292 seconds]