    SubjectRE: 3ware 9500S Drivers (mm kernel)
    Peter, Jurgen, Claudio,

    > > I am also working with Bruce Allen (smartmontools developer) to make
    > > the 3w-9xxx driver work with smartmontools. This shouldn't require
    > > any driver changes.
    > This should happen on the timescale of two weeks. I've got a 9500 series
    > controller on hand and some SATA disks on order. Once the disks arrive,
    > with Adam's help it shouldn't take me long to get smartmontools working on
    > the 9500 series controllers.
    > The most novel aspect is that this will use the driver's character device
    > interface rather than the block interface.

    I've now checked code into CVS for this, so smartmontools now can be used
    with 3ware/AMCC 9000 series controllers (3w-9xxx driver). Many thanks to
    Adam Radford for his help with this.

    I'd be grateful if you could give it a try and report back. I'm especially
    interested in reports about 64-bit or big-endian (or both) hardware.

    You'll need to follow the instructions at to
    check a copy out of CVS and build it. You'll have to use the 'character
    device' syntax to address the disks, for example:

    ./smartctl -a -d 3ware,0 /dev/twa0
    ./smartctl -a -d 3ware,1 /dev/twa0
    ./smartctl -a -d 3ware,2 /dev/twa0

    for the first three disks on the first controller, and

    ./smartctl -a -d 3ware,0 /dev/twa1
    ./smartctl -a -d 3ware,1 /dev/twa1

    for the first two disks on the second controller. Likewise use /dev/twa?
    in /etc/smartd.conf.

    If you don't have the /dev/twa? devices on your system, please run the
    tw_cli or 3dmd tools once: this will automatically create the /dev/twa?

    I've also added support for 6000/7000/8000 cards to use the character
    device interface /dev/twe?. These devices can ALSO use the SCSI interface
    via /dev/sd?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.033 / U:4.820 seconds]