    SubjectRe: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch
    > unlike the lowlatency patches, this patch doesn't add a lot of new
    > scheduling points to the source code, it rather reuses a rich but
    > currently inactive set of scheduling points that already exist in the
    > 2.6 tree: the might_sleep() debugging checks. Any code point that does
    > might_sleep() is in fact ready to sleep at that point. So the patch
    > activates these debugging checks to be scheduling points. This reduces
    > complexity and impact quite significantly.

    I don't think this is a good idea. Just because a function might sleep
    it doesn't mean it should sleep. I'd rather add the might_sleep() to
    cond_resched() and replace the former with the latter in the cases where
    it makes sense.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.019 / U:9.272 seconds]