    SubjectRe: Maximum frequency of re-scheduling (minimum time quantum ) que stio n
    Povolotsky, Alexander wrote:
    > Hi Peter,
    >>By freeing "time slice"s from their involvement in active/expired
    >>priority array switching etc., the various single priority array
    >>schedulers (e.g. Con Kolivas's staircase scheduler and my SPA "pb" and
    >>"eb" schedulers) that are under development raise the possibility of
    >>allowing the time slice for SCHED_RR tasks to be different to that of
    >>ordinary tasks or even for it to be set separately for each SCHED_RR
    >>task. Whether this is desirable or not is another question.
    > IMHO (I am new in Linux),- if this functionality could be either optionally
    > configured at compile time or be optionally invokable at run time (or
    > combination of both) - why not to have it ? - this addition enhances choices
    > of scheduling,
    > which is good.
    > Is there a chance such functionality will make into Linux 2.6 as a patch (at
    > some later time) ?

    Not until the current scheduler is replaced with a single priority array
    scheduler. However, if there's enough interest, I could add this
    functionality to the CPU scheduler evaluation patch so that people could
    experiment with it (BUT it would be at the bottom of my to do list).

    > By the way - what is the "mechanism" of decision making process (among Linux
    > kernel developers) on such things ?

    I'll leave this question to someone more knowledgeable.

    Peter Williams

    -- Ambrose Bierce

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.030 / U:14.036 seconds]