SubjectRe: quite big breakthrough in the BAD network performance, which mm6 did not fix
On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 15:30 -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Redeeman <lkml@metanurb.dk> said:
> > On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 17:54 -0700, Matt Heler wrote:
>
> > > Ok first take benchmarks ( use wget ), and secondly results from the
> > > internet vary day by day , hour to hour , minute by minute. Don't
> > > expect all sites on the internet to be the same speed, or even stay the
> > > same speed for that matter. For more accurate benchmark results setup a
> > > personal server on your own private network and benchmark http
> > > trasnfers using different kernels.
>
> > i am aware of this, however, what i use to benchmark is kernel.org, as i
> > can see they have alot bandwith free.
>
> How do you know that?
how i know? i dont think anyone in the matter of seconds begin to use
the spare ~800mbit/s of bandwith they do not use when i try, (according
to info from bwbar on kernel.org)

> > if i use kernel.org http i get 50kb/s, if i use ftp, i can easily fetch
> > with 200kb/s
>
> Trafic shaping somewhere along the route? Much more load on HTTP than FTP?
> Are they the very same machines? Under the exact same load? Are the servers
> written with the same care? Are the clients?
>
> > also, the gnu ftp, where i took gcc3.4.1, it gave me 200kb/s
>
> Ditto.
>
> Unless you set up something where there aren't dozens of unknown variables
> and a hundred or so that you have got no chance at all to even guess what
> their values/effects are...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.134 / U:0.196 seconds]