    SubjectRe: [BUG] FAT broken in 2.6.7-bk15
    Ali Akcaagac <> writes:

    > Ok after some further research I figured this out. My last working
    > version of the Linux Kernel was 2.6.7 which worked with my rescue
    > system. I now applied the bk* patches upwards to check which one caused
    > the issue and I figured that this happened between bk3 to bk4 (so the
    > problem occoured with the bk4 patch). The diskimage was created with
    > mtools 3.9.9 and worked perfectly before.

    Ah, my fault. I changed the handling of "codepage" options, but it wasn't
    mentioned on changelog at all. (Sorry, I didn't notice this changes.)

    Now, the codepage option recognizes only real NLS codepage module.
    only recognizes the numbers.)

    Previously, it recognized/loaded all NLS modules via CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT,
    if it can't load the nls_cp437.ko or specified codepage.

    But this is seriously wrong. For example, if fatfs using the
    nls_utf8.ko for codepage, it will store the wrong 8.3-alias to
    disk. (At least, windows can't read this. And several peoples reported
    this problem.)

    Anyway, could you please check FAT_DEFAULT_CODE/FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET
    and NLS_xxx in your .config.

    Yes, this should be done automatically by config system. However...
    OGAWA Hirofumi <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.054 / U:1.204 seconds]