    SubjectRe: [BUG] FAT broken in 2.6.7-bk15
    > > The recent changes in 2.6.7-bk15 broke FAT support. I am doing some
    > > rescue backup systems here using tools like syslinux and mtools to
    > > format a normal msdos disk (for el-torito). I figured out that after
    > > creating and formating of these disks that it is impossible to mount
    > > them with 'msdos' or 'vfat'.

    > You may be able to check for yourself precisely which change caused
    > trouble for you. The only very recent change is one that makes the
    > kernel more permissive.

    > Give details on what versions work for you, what versions don't.
    > Give the exact error messages. Give the first few sectors of the
    > filesystem that you cannot mount but can mount with an earlier kernel.

    Ok after some further research I figured this out. My last working
    version of the Linux Kernel was 2.6.7 which worked with my rescue
    system. I now applied the bk* patches upwards to check which one caused
    the issue and I figured that this happened between bk3 to bk4 (so the
    problem occoured with the bk4 patch). The diskimage was created with
    mtools 3.9.9 and worked perfectly before.

    export MTOOLSRC=".mtools.conf"
    echo "drive a: file=\"/tmp/bootflop.img\" mformat_only" > .mtools.conf
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/bootflop.img count=5760 bs=512
    mformat -t 80 -h 2 -s 36 A:
    rm .mtools.conf

    The diskimage was created that way for countless months without any
    problems. You find the image as attachment. After bunzip'ing it you
    receive a 2,88 mb file (don't worry about the tiny size now) with the
    md5sum: dc27cfe332cf96238e80d148c9955b9e
    [unhandled content-type:application/x-bzip]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:3.354 / U:0.008 seconds]