SubjectRe: uid of user who mounts
On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:21:48AM -0500, Steve French wrote:

> I confirmed what Randy had mantioned about the user= entries in mtab
> allowing umounts (at least it works that way for a few of the local
> filesystems I tried) but did not seem to work so well on other
> filesystems - I had odd results on umounting my cifs mounts e.g. - after
> adding at mount time "user=someuser" to /etc/mtab (by a minor change to
> the mount helper mount.cifs.c, when running mount.cifs suid). umount of
> those mounts failed and has been tricky to debug through a privately
> built version of umount via ddd (although it is clearly not making it
> down to the cifs filesystem on the user umount so the problem is in libc
> or in fs/namespace.c) - so I am tracing through fs/namespace.c now.

This discussion sounds as if you do think that this is somehow kernel-related.
But it is not. Mount is suid and does certain things in a certain way.
For filesystems that have their own private mount program, that private
mount program is responsible for what happens.

Andries

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans