    SubjectRe: [RFC] Restoring HDIO_GETGEO semantics (was: Re: workaround for BIOS / CHS stuff)
    Andries Brouwer <> writes:

    > (ii) Various people talk about moving disks between machines.
    > Such people have not understood the main fact here:
    > the geometry is not a property of the disk but of the BIOS.

    Um... Yes, right, exactly, very good. So you *must* obtain the
    geometry from the BIOS and not from anything you happen to find on the
    disk. Which is sort of my entire point.

    > It is futile to hope for a construction that will work across
    > different machines with different BIOSes.

    Simply false. "modprobe edd.o" followed by an examination of the
    fields under /sys/firmware/edd will give you precisely the right

    - Pat

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.018 / U:8.076 seconds]