SubjectRe: SiS900: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
Date
On Tuesday 27 July 2004 17:26, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Dominik Karall wrote:
> > After a few hours my network doesn't work on my laptop. There appear a
> > lot of those messages:
> >
> > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
> > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
> > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
> > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
> > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
> > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
> > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
> > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
> > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
> > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
> >
> > It works again after restarting network. I'm using 2.6.8-rc2 now. It was
> > the same problem in 2.6.7, but I didn't test it with earlier kernels.
>
> A NULL appears when the machine is temporarily unable to allocate room
> for a new skb. Your machine's atomic memory pools are getting too low...
>
> Jeff

Yes, I took a look at the code and found the debug message. But isn't there
any way to avoid network stop working? Because after a network restart it
works again, maybe there could be used any "soft reset" to make network
working again after such an error.

Dominik

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.093 / U:1.172 seconds]