    SubjectRe: SiS900: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
    Date
    On Tuesday 27 July 2004 17:26, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Dominik Karall wrote:
    > > After a few hours my network doesn't work on my laptop. There appear a
    > > lot of those messages:
    > >
    > > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
    > > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
    > > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
    > > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
    > > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
    > > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
    > > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
    > > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
    > > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
    > > eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring, skipping
    > >
    > > It works again after restarting network. I'm using 2.6.8-rc2 now. It was
    > > the same problem in 2.6.7, but I didn't test it with earlier kernels.
    >
    > A NULL appears when the machine is temporarily unable to allocate room
    > for a new skb. Your machine's atomic memory pools are getting too low...
    >
    > Jeff

    Yes, I took a look at the code and found the debug message. But isn't there
    any way to avoid network stop working? Because after a network restart it
    works again, maybe there could be used any "soft reset" to make network
    working again after such an error.

    Dominik

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.023 / U:1.084 seconds]