    SubjectRe: clearing filesystem cache for I/O benchmarks
    Date
    Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> writes:

    > Benjamin Rutt <rutt.4+news@osu.edu> wrote:
    >>
    >> How can I purge all of the kernel's filesystem caches, so I can trust
    >> that my I/O (read) requests I'm trying to benchmark bypass the kernel
    >> filesystem cache?
    >
    > Either delete the benchmark test files or

    I'm not sure I follow. If I delete the benchmark files, I'll only
    need to create them again later in order to do a read test, and I'll
    have the same problem then, of how to eliminate the just-written-data
    from cache. Unless you're suggesting I write using some special mode
    that won't enter the written data into cache? (e.g. O_DIRECT?)

    > , in 2.6, use fsync+posix_fadvise(POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED);

    Thanks for the reference, I wasn't aware of that one. We are running
    some 2.4 kernels in our storage cluster unfortunately so that won't be
    usable for us everywhere. I take it POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED is ignored
    under 2.4.

    A related question...if no posix_fadvise() advice has been given, does
    reading sequentially every byte of an 8GB file on a machine with <=
    8GB of RAM guarantee that any page cache data that existed on the
    machine prior to the start of the 8GB read is now gone?
    --
    Benjamin Rutt