SubjectRe: Autotune swappiness01
On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 01:02:32PM +1000, Tim Connors wrote:
> I am not trying to say anything bad about your work - I am trying to
> caution Andrew that not everyone cares so much that they lose 200 megs of
> pagecache. It doesn't affect everyone equally - I'm just trying to put the
> voice of those of us who care more about responsiveness than throughput,
> if I may borrow the argument from upthread.

I happen to be a person who rolls his eyes at everyone's mention
of micro-optimized "feel". I've found that any system faster than
300MHz is pretty decent for normal desktop work (that is, moz + lots of
terminals in gnome/kde). Yes, I'm a luddite, I used to wait 45 seconds
for moz to start in the morning on the 300Mhz. I survived.
In general, I can't notice the difference between 2.6.anything
on my 1GHz. Maybe everyone else can, but I can't.
HOWEVER, the swappiness of '60' puts my system into
fits-and-starts mode. Not "It feels slower", but "It pauses for seconds
at a time." So I chimed in on this.
And yes, I'd give up oodles of pagecache to avoid fits and
starts. But there's got to be a way to use the pagecache and not hang
for seconds at a time.

Joel

--

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to
achieve immortality through not dying."

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle Corporation
E-mail: joel.becker@oracle.com
Phone: (650) 506-8127

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:2.230 / U:0.888 seconds]