    SubjectRe: [patch] kernel events layer
    On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:09:51PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > "Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > If you guys are up to it, I volunteer to write/port such a tool to scan
    > > out the send_kevent{_atomic,}()s and make a catalog out of it.
    > I must say that my gut feeling here is that bolting an arbitrary new
    > namespace into the kernel in this manner is not the way to proceed.

    An uncontrolled namespace is no better than the existing printk info,
    IMO. And I think it's next to impossible to control the kevent
    namespace if it's scattered across the tree as strings, having tried
    to do something analogous for another large project.

    > I hope we'll hear more from Greg on this next week - see if we can come up
    > with some way to use the kobject/sysfs namespace for this.

    An API that looks like sysfs + dnotify to userspace is almost what you
    want. While the sysfs namespace has some of the problems above, we're
    already stuck with it.

    > Although heaven knows how "tmpfs just ran out of space" would map onto
    > kobject/sysfs.

    Per mountpoint sysfs trees? I'm sure there are lifetime issues there.

    Btw, we probably already have potential issues with kevents being
    stale by the time userspace picks them up - eth0 up, eth0 down, eth1
    renamed eth0, userspace notices eth0 up, tries to config downed eth1.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.022 / U:47.180 seconds]