SubjectRe: Future devfs plans (sorry for previous incomplete message)
Date
Norberto Bensa wrote:

> Trent Lloyd wrote:
>
>>Wouldn't a possible solution to do this to develop an extension to tmpfs to
>>catch files accessed that don't exist etc and use that in conjuction
>>with udev?
>

> Why would you want to do that? If the device node doesn't exist -> there's no
> hardware -> there's no need to load a driver/module.

Wrong - think about /dev/loop0

> udev/hotplug are doing the right thing (tm)

They are doing the right thing (tm) _only_ in conjunction with this
bootscript snippet:

KVERSION=`uname -r`
for module in `egrep '^alias (char|block)-major' \
/lib/modules/$KVERSION/modules.alias /etc/modprobe.conf | \
grep -v 1394 | awk '{print $3;}'`
do
modprobe $module
done

I have, however, posted this snippet to linux-hotplug-devel and they
rejected it for no apparent reason. This snippet loads exactly the same
modules as the kernel would autoload with static /dev.

The "grep -v 1394" is due to the kernel bug described in the following
message: http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/5/30/143

Also the recent "enable all hotplug events" patch
(http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/7/13/74 + http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/7/20/47)
with a custom initramfs
(http://bugs.linuxfromscratch.org/attachment.cgi?id=112&action=view) is
a very good thing.