    SubjectRe: changing ethernet devices, new one stops cold at iptables
    On Sunday 25 July 2004 17:23, David Ford wrote:
    >No need to reboot it. Simply flush the neighbor cache.
    >Scott root # ip neigh flush help
    >Usage: ip neigh { add | del | change | replace } { ADDR [ lladdr
    > LLADDR ] [ nud { permanent | noarp | stale | reachable } ]
    > | proxy ADDR } [ dev DEV ]
    > ip neigh {show|flush} [ to PREFIX ] [ dev DEV ] [ nud STATE ]

    Is my manpages too old? I studied it for arp at least half an hour
    without seeing any way out of the dilemma short of a reboot, so I
    did. And I just checked, theres no linkage from arp to anything
    called 'ip'. Wrecked a 78 day uptime :(

    Yes, I learned something from your message, thank you very much, but
    why is it so deeply buried?

    Humm, is there not an option that will a: flush, and then b: refresh
    itself just as if its been rebooted? The 'replace' appears to
    require intimate knowledge of a 48 bit MAC address etc I'd assume.

    >Gene Heskett wrote:
    >>>Have you verified that the routing got correctly set up on the new
    >>> ip ro ls
    >>>The usual cause to the symptoms you describe is that the default
    >>>route has gone missing or is invalid.
    >>The routing was good, showing the fireall as the default gateway
    >>In this case, the fix was to reboot the firewall so that its arp
    >>tables got refreshed to match the new MAC address of the onboard
    >>nforce (forcedeth) nic. Once that was done, everything was peachy.
    >>Thanks, I appreciate the reply, Henrik.

    Cheers, Gene
    There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.
    Soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
    Please use in that order, starting now. -Ed Howdershelt, Author
    Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
    Maurice E. Heskett, all rights reserved.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.022 / U:8.632 seconds]