    > -mm;
    > - Patches which have proven themselves stable and useful get
    > backported to 2.6;
    > - If the delta between 2.6 and -mm becomes too great we'll
    > consider a hard fork AT THAT TIME, i.e. fork lazily instead
    > of the past model of forking eagerly.
    > Why the change? Because the model already has proven itself,
    > and
    > shown itself to be more functional than what we've had in the
    > past.
    > 2.6 is probably the most stable mainline tree we've had since
    > 1.2 or
    > so, and yet Linus and Andrew process *lots* of changes. The
    > -mm tree
    > has become a very effective filter for what should go into
    > mainline,
    > whereas the odd-number forks generally *haven't* been, because
    > backporting to mainline has usually been an afterthought.
    > I for one welcome our new -mm overlords.
    > -hpa

    Thank you for clarifying this.
    So linux 2.6 from stay stable.
    And 2.6x-mm is like a 2.7 development tree (thought not that
    experimental ;-) )

    From the LWM story i understood that linux will be like windows:
    lots of "features" but no stability, except if you use a
    distribution kernel. And that seriously made me think about
    using another free *nix for a stable system.

    A mouse is a device used to point at
    the xterm you want to type in.
    Kim Alm on a.s.r.

    Créez votre Yahoo! Mail sur

    Le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger est arrivé ! Découvrez toutes les nouveautés pour dialoguer instantanément avec vos amis. A télécharger gratuitement sur

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.047 / U:26.908 seconds]