    SubjectRe: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch
    Lee Revell wrote:

    >anyway.
    >

    >>Plus what's very important is that every kernel developer and driver
    >>developer (even thirdparty, especially those
    >>that do closed source stuff like Nvidia etc) takes into account the
    >>latency problems that code paths that run for
    >>too long time (or disable IRQs for too long etc) might create.
    >>While I'm not a kernel expert I assume the premptible kernel alleviates
    >>this problem but I guess it still cannot
    >>completely get rid of low latency-unfriendly routines and drivers.
    >>

    >Yes, this is important. One problem I had recently with the Via EPIA
    >board was that unless 2D acceleration was disabled by setting 'Option
    >"NoAccel"' in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, overloading the X server would
    >cause interrupts from the soundcard to be completely disabled for tens
    >of milliseconds. Users should keep in mind that by using 2D or 3D
    >hardware acceleration in X, you are allowing the X server to directly
    >access hardware, which can have very bad results if the driver is
    >buggy. I am not sure the kernel can do anything about this.

    that's bad news.
    VIA markets those mini-itx mainboards (with onboard audio/video/network)
    as multimedia appliances and
    therefore I'd expect the hardware providing low latencies when both
    video acceleration and audio is used.
    Hopefully only a driver issue (as in most of cases)

    Since VIA released the unichrome (the gfx chipset contained in their
    mainboards) sources someone should
    contact these folks :
    http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/
    to check what is causing those latency spikes ?
    Any unichrome developer lurking on LKML ?

    cheers,
    Benno
    http://www.linuxsampler.org

    >Lee

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.028 / U:120.632 seconds]