SubjectRe: SATA Maxtor 6Y080M0 abonormal status 0xD9
From
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:29:11 +0100, Dave Kelly <dave@ravelox.co.uk> wrote:
[SNIP]

> ata1: command 0xca timeout, stat 0xd9 host_stat 0x61
> scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Write (10) 00 01 44 07 ff
> 00 00 c8 00
> Current sda: sense key Medium Error
> Additional sense: Write error - auto reallocation failed
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 21235711
> ATA: abnormal status 0xD9 on port 0xF885D087
> ATA: abnormal status 0xD9 on port 0xF885D087
> ATA: abnormal status 0xD9 on port 0xF885D087
>
> mkfs hangs and I am unable to kill it without a reboot.

That's almost exactly the error I've gotten from four(!) of my Maxtor
7Y250M0 SATA disks. One I sent back for repair, and the remaining three
and the replacement disk are mounted in the chassi, but not connected.
Figured it to be something related to my controller, but as we don't seem
to have the same controller, I suppose it's either a bug in the Maxtor
firmware or something software related. Too bad I don't have another SATA
controller to try this out on.

I am running a destructive badblocks(8) on the disks as it seems to be a
good way of provoking this error (the time it takes for the error to
appear varies greatly). Can't remember how I tested the first disk (the
one I sent back), but the first two from this batch were connected to port
four of my Promise S150 SX4 card. The next two were connected to port one,
to decrease the chances of anything being wrong with a port or cable.

I have attached some information that may or may not be relevant to you
people, but I'll highlight the errors so I won't have to spam you with
three complete dmesgs (I'll attach the first dmesg in its entirety. The
remaining dmesgs are available on request).

I don't have the dmesg for the very first drive I had failing, but the
error was quite similar. That one ran on a slightly patched 2.6.6-kernel
with ACPI enabled though. These three are vanilla 2.6.7 with ACPI
disabled. I haven't been able to provoke the error on my fourth disk yet,
but I guess it's only a matter of time.

Port 4, disk 1:

ata4: DMA timeout
scsi3: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 00 17 00 00
00 80 00
Current sda: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 5888

Port 4, disk 2:

ata4: DMA timeout
scsi3: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Write (10) 00 06 95 fa 00 00
00 80 00
Current sda: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error - auto reallocation failed
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 110492160

Port 1, disk 3:

ata1: DMA timeout
scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 17 f0 54 00 00
00 80 00
Current sda: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 401626112

I can run additional tests for you, with kernels patched and configured
anywhich way you want it. Just let me know

Also, about the unkill:able part, I'm having the same problem with
whatever process it is that is accessing it. Which does kind-of reduce the
usability when having it in a software RAID-5 array. When one disk fails,
the array hangs.

// Henrik Gustafsson[unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.031 / U:0.228 seconds]