    SubjectRe: 2.6.8-rc1-np1
    Nick Piggin wrote:
    > Now that I finally a highmem system, I've been able to make some progress
    > on the memory management chaneges. Still needs more work though. Feedback
    > would be nice if anyone is testing.
    > Scheduler behaviour is generally pretty good now so I've increased the
    > timeslice size to see how far I can push it. Some workloads really demand
    > small timeslices though, so I've added /proc/sys/kernel/base_timeslice.
    > If you have any problems with the default, please report it to me, and
    > check if lowering this value helps.
    > Things are working alright on my desktop with base_timeslice at 10000
    > which corresponds to around 15-20 *second* timeslices, however I don't
    > do much fancy, and it does have the problem of a newly forked CPU hog
    > possibly causing a long freeze (fixable by using a smaller value for
    > the first timeslice).

    I think most people will find the long freeze worth avoiding, thanks for
    making it easily adjustable. As I found out when I was evaluating sorts
    and human interfaces that users would rather use a slower sort which
    didn't have a "jackpot case" than one which was 30% faster but linear in
    response. This was for 1-2sec typical response.

    Just my guess.

    -bill davidsen (

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.021 / U:2.008 seconds]