SubjectRe: 2.6.8-rc1-np1
Date
Nick Piggin wrote:
> http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/2.6.8-rc1-np1/
>
> Now that I finally a highmem system, I've been able to make some progress
> on the memory management chaneges. Still needs more work though. Feedback
> would be nice if anyone is testing.
>
> Scheduler behaviour is generally pretty good now so I've increased the
> timeslice size to see how far I can push it. Some workloads really demand
> small timeslices though, so I've added /proc/sys/kernel/base_timeslice.
> If you have any problems with the default, please report it to me, and
> check if lowering this value helps.
>
> Things are working alright on my desktop with base_timeslice at 10000
> which corresponds to around 15-20 *second* timeslices, however I don't
> do much fancy, and it does have the problem of a newly forked CPU hog
> possibly causing a long freeze (fixable by using a smaller value for
> the first timeslice).

I think most people will find the long freeze worth avoiding, thanks for
making it easily adjustable. As I found out when I was evaluating sorts
and human interfaces that users would rather use a slower sort which
didn't have a "jackpot case" than one which was 30% faster but linear in
response. This was for 1-2sec typical response.

Just my guess.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)