SubjectRe: ext3: bump mount count on journal replay
On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:15:25PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Currently, you get fsck "just to be sure" once every ~30 clean
> mounts or ~30 hard shutdowns. I believe that hard shutdown is way more
> likely to cause some disk corruption, so it would make sense to fsck
> more often when system is hit by hard shutdown.

At least in theory an unclean shutdown is not going to cause any
problems, unless the hardware is screwy, in which case even a single
hard shutdown is going to cause problems. I'm not sure that it really
makes sense to arbitrarily state that a hard shutdown is 5 times more
likely to cause problems. We could make it be configurable, I
suppose, but I'm not sure it's worth it to add all that extra
complexity. (Heck, we could also argue using a similar reasoning that
software suspends also increases the chances of filesystem corruption
"if something bad happens". :-)

- Ted