SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Minneapolis Cluster Summit, July 29-30
    gfs needs to run in the kernel.  dlm should run in the kernel since gfs uses it
so heavily. cman is the clustering subsystem on top of which both of those are
built and on which both depend quite critically. It simply makes most sense to
put cman in the kernel for what we're doing with it. That's not a dogmatic
position, just a practical one based on our experience.

This isn't really acceptable. We've spent a long time throwing things
out of the kernel so you really need a good justification for putting
things in again. "it makes sense" and "its just practical" aren't
sufficient.

You also face two other additional hurdles:

1) GFS today uses a user space DLM. What critical problems does this
have that you suddenly need to move it all into the kernel?

2) We have numerous other clustering products for Linux, none of which
(well except the Veritas one) has any requirement at all on having
pieces in the kernel. If all the others operate in user space, why does
yours need to be in the kernel?

So do you have a justification for requiring these as kernel components?

James

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.034 / U:1.740 seconds]