SubjectRe: Linux scheduler (scheduling) questions vs threads

* Povolotsky, Alexander <Alexander.Povolotsky@marconi.com> wrote:

> Sorry for bothering and annoying everyone on this list again with additional
> questions ...
>
> Let assume there is one (and only one) application (user space ) process
> running on the Linux 2.6 - with multiple threads within it, created via
> "clone" (this happens, I presume, for example, if one uses Monta Vista
> library for porting PSOS to Linux).
>
> What scheduling policies those threads (within the same process) will be
> governed by (if any )?

in Linux there's no difference between the scheduling of 'threads' and
'processes'. Both are internally a 'task'. If two tasks share the same
MM (this is possible via the use of clone()) then they are called
threads. If a task has its own MM (normally created via fork()) then
it's called a process - but the scheduler doesnt care.

so the normal Linux scheduling policy applies to 'threads' too. Fully
preemptable, SCHED_NORMAL by default, or SCHED_FIFO/SCHED_RR if you set
it. The priority (or rt_priority) can be set per-task as well. Newly
created threads/processes may inherit (or not) the policy of the parent,
this largely depends on the library implementation.

Ingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.029 / U:0.088 seconds]