    SubjectRe: binutils woes
    On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 10:47:31AM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
    > On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 05:52:31PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
    > > Hi guys,
    > >
    > > On ARM, we appear to have somewhat of a problem with binutils. At
    > > least the following binutils suffer from a problem whereby it is
    > > possible to create programs which contain undefined symbols:
    > [snip]
    > > I think the only way we can ensure kernel correctness is to add a
    > > subsequent stage to kbuild such that whenever we generate a final
    > > program, we grep the 'nm' output for undefined symbols.
    > >
    > > Comments?
    > Is there a version of binutils that really does get things right? If
    > so, can't you Just Say No to older versions and force people to upgrade
    > (with a simple testcase done upfront) ?

    I've just tested:

    GNU assembler 2.15.90 20040409
    This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
    the GNU General Public License. This program has absolutely no warranty.
    This assembler was configured for a target of `arm-linux'.

    and it also is aflicted with the same problem. I guess the answer
    to your question is that currently there are no recent versions which
    work correctly.

    Looking at the timescale of 2.13 through to present day, we're talking
    potentially of 2 years of binutils versions with this problem, and even
    if it was fixed tomorrow, I don't think it's acceptable to say "use the
    latest binutils version."

    Also, I have just received another report that somewhere in the kernel
    is an undefined reference to another symbol - I_BIT, but where we have
    no idea at present...

    Russell King
    Linux kernel 2.6 ARM Linux -
    maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA -
    2.6 Serial core

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.025 / U:6.340 seconds]