    SubjectRe: UDP sockets bound to ANY send answers with wrong src ip address
    On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 02:25:39PM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
    > I observe that UDP sockets listening on ANY
    > send response packets with ip addr derived from
    > ip address of interface which is used to send 'em
    > instead of using dst ip address of client's packet.
    > I was bitten by this with DNS and NTP.

    This is the responsibility of the program. Unless the UDP packet is
    bound to a particular address, or the program specifies an IP, the
    kernel will pick one. For this reason both the BIND and NTP daemons
    open a socket for each interface so they can control this. netstat on
    my machine shows:

    udp 0 0*
    udp 0 0*
    udp 0 0*

    for the NTP server. The DNS has similar machanism. Remember, UDP
    doesn't involve connections, so there is no concept of "replying" to a
    packet, the program has to manage that itself.

    In your example, if you tell netcat which address to bind to, it will

    Hope this helps,
    Martijn van Oosterhout <>
      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.021 / U:7.668 seconds]