    SubjectRe: [STACK] >3k call path in reiserfs
    On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 13:06, Hans Reiser wrote:

    > >No such luck, the real offender is having tree balance structs on the
    > >stack. We need to switch to kmalloc for those, which will be mean some
    > >extra work to make sure we don't schedule at the wrong time.
    > >
    > >In other words, not the trivial patch I was hoping for, but I'm cooking
    > >one up.

    > Can you give me some background on whether this is causing real problems
    > for real users?

    Especially with the 4k stack option enabled, it will cause real problems
    for real users. A better change would be to cut down on the size of the
    tree balance struct, but that would be more invasive. For starters we
    might be able to switch from ints to shorts for some of the arrays.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:0.448 seconds]