SubjectRE: WINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Robert White wrote:

> I would think that having an easy call to disable the NX modification would be both
> safe and effective. That is, adding a syscall (or whatever) that would let you mark
> your heap and/or stack executable while leaving the new default as NX, is "just as
> safe" as flagging the executable in the first place.

Just having the abillity to turn protection off opens the door. If it is
possible to turn it off then a way will be found to do it - either via
buggy kernel code or otherwhise. Only safe approach is to have it
enabled by default and not be able to turn it off IMHO.

Jesper Juhl <>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.113 / U:2.732 seconds]