    SubjectRE: WINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2
    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Robert White wrote:

    > I would think that having an easy call to disable the NX modification would be both
    > safe and effective. That is, adding a syscall (or whatever) that would let you mark
    > your heap and/or stack executable while leaving the new default as NX, is "just as
    > safe" as flagging the executable in the first place.

    Just having the abillity to turn protection off opens the door. If it is
    possible to turn it off then a way will be found to do it - either via
    buggy kernel code or otherwhise. Only safe approach is to have it
    enabled by default and not be able to turn it off IMHO.

    Jesper Juhl <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.019 / U:7.924 seconds]