SubjectRe: WINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2

Ingo Molnar wrote:

>>I did not investigate this, but others who did think that it is not
>>possible to create a segment that is reserve only so that does not
>>unnecessarily consume virtual memory. Apparently ELF allows it, but
>>Linux doesn't.
>

> what do you mean by "Linux doesn't"?

Apparently Linux will back all segments by swap space, even if they're
marked as non-accessable. Maybe I was told the wrong thing? Or maybe
the it's just difficult to create such a segment, as Jukub was saying?

In any case, the solution we have now reserves exactly the amount of
memory that is needed. If we were to use a fixed size segment, we would
be reserving too much memory most of the time, and preventing shared
libraries being loaded at their prefered addresses.

Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.065 / U:0.428 seconds]