SubjectRe: APM realy sucks on 2.6.x
Hi!

> >Yes, that's pretty much what I meant. ACPI has ~5 people actively
> >working on it, some of them probably full-time. That's a lot of
> >manpower, compared to APM.
>

> This becomes a little bit scary. Someone else on this list already
> mentioned that there is a strong movement towards everything which
> is at least a desktop/server machine. And on the other hand there are
> these embedded systems which seem to be attractive for linux to.
>
> ACPI seems to be nifty for such things like hardware monitoring and
> stuff. That makes it interesting for servers etc...
>
> Everything in the middle (aka laptops) seems to slowly drop out of the
> loop. PCMCIA seems to be another ugly example. Anyway ... I'm not
> frightened

HP sells compaq nx5000 notebooks with Linux preloaded. Unfortunately
suspend-to-RAM is not there (IIRC). That's because suspend-to-RAM is
hard to do with ACPI.

PCMCIA... well, that's another obsolete technology. Too bad.

They are people who care about notebooks, there's just no one that
cares about *old* notebooks any more.
Pavel
--
934a471f20d6580d5aad759bf0d97ddc