    SubjectRe: locking in psmouse
    On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 07:40:17AM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

    > On Thursday 29 April 2004 04:58 am, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > Hi!

    > > > Although I am not arguing that locking might be needed in psmouse module I
    > > > am somewhat confused how it will help in case of data stream coming from the
    > > > mouse... If mouse sent a byte before the kernel issue a command then it will
    > > > be delivered by KBC controller and will be processed by the interrupt handler,
    > > > probably messing up detection process. That's why as soon as we decide that
    > > > the device behind PS/2 port is some kind of mouse we disable the stream mode.
    > >
    > > Does that mean that mouse can not talk while we are sending commands
    > > to it? That would help a bit.
    > >

    > Yes, check psmouse_probe. As soon as PSMOUSE_CMD_RESET_DIS acknowledged mouse
    > should cease sending motion data. That still leaves possibility of screwing up
    > detection if you are moving mouse while psmouse doing PSMOUSE_CMD_GETID.
    > But I don't think we can do much about it as we'd like to know that the device
    > is some kind of a mouse before we start messing with it.

    I've updated the atkbd_command/atkbd_interrupt mechanism so that even
    bytes coming from the keyboard when we're issuing a command shouldn't
    disturb us. I've tested by banging my head at the keyboard while
    plugging it in. ;)

    Something like that might be worth implementing for psmouse as well.

    --
    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs, SuSE CR