    SubjectAPM realy sucks on 2.6.x
    Hi

    I'm really having a hard time with APM on 2.6.x. I have a DELL Latitude
    L400 with the newest BIOS release. The most important functionality
    of APM for me is the 'suspend to RAM' function which worked like
    it should on all 2.4.x kernels I've tested. Under 2.6.x it simply does
    not resume the second
    time. Meaning it suspends and resumes once but when suspending the second
    time the machine only brings up the LEDs and FAN and is stucked. I've
    modified the kernel option for APM but that did not help at all.

    I've already stated that question here and googled my fingers down to the
    bones. The discussion always goes in these directions:

    (1) Wait until ACPI is fully functional. Although a lot of people claim that
    there are a lot of BIOses around that do not implement it properly and that
    even MS-evel Windows has its problems with it.

    (2) Exchange the motherboard.

    (3) Buy a decent computer.

    (4) Stick with 2.4.x

    (5) And so on and so forth

    All of this is not very constructive.

    My impression is that APM is slowly degenerating while ACPI is not
    (yet ?) able to fill the gap. The suspend feature of ACPI is stated to
    be dangerous and experimental and does not work for me at all.

    After all this bashing...

    Is there anyone out there who has the same experiences ?

    Is there a workaround ?

    Is it possible to somehow downgrade APM in the 2.6 kernel
    to the 2.4.x state ?

    How could one debug this kind of missbehaviour ? Where do
    I have to look for potential miss configurations of the system ?

    I'm really willing to help the APM developers to track down this bug
    but don't have a clue how to debug this kind stuff.

    Thanks for your attention

    Sebastian

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.021 / U:1.864 seconds]