SubjectRe: A question about PROT_NONE on ARM and ARM26
Russell King wrote:
> We use three domains - one for user, one for kernel and one for IO.
> Normally all three are in client mode. However, on set_fs(KERNEL_DS)
> we switch the kernel domain to manager mode.
>
> This means that the user-mode LDR instructions (ldrt / ldrlst etc)
> will not have their page permissions checked, and therefore the access
> will succeed - exactly as we require.

Protection permissions (i.e. read-only, PROT_NONE) should still be
checked after set_fs(KERNEL_DS). It's only the kernel page vs. user
page distinction that should be relaxed.

From your description, it's not obvious that it'll do the right thing
in that circumstance.

Hopefully,

> [Tables]
> We have a similar difference in kernel-mode vs user-mode accesses for
> the ARM case as well - so its all complicated and unless you really
> understand this... 8)

...this is alluding to a mechanism such that exactly the right thing
happens for PROT_NONE and PROT_READONLY pages after set_fs(KERNEL_DS), yes?

> Privileged T-bit 00 01 10 11
> Y 0 r/w r/w r/w r/w
> Y 1 r/w read no access no access
> N X r/w read no access no access
>
> Note: if PAGE_NOT_USER and PAGE_OLD are both clear (iow, young + user
> page) we use bit pattern 0x. If PAGE_NOT_USER, PAGE_OLD, PAGE_READONLY
> and PAGE_CLEAN are all clear, we use bit pattern 00. Otherwise we use
> bit pattern 11.

Ok, that explains nicely and should do the right thing on ARM26 with
PROT_NONE pages, even with set_fs(KERNEL_DS).

Because set_fs() is rarely used, I think you can optimise getuser.S
and putuser.S on ARM26. Instead of comparing the address against
TI_ADDR_LIMIT, compare it against the hard-coded userspace limit.

If that succeeds, continue with ldrt et al. Note the improvements in
the common case (fs == USER_DS and no fault): (1) you only compare
against one limit, not two; (2) no load of TI_ADDR_LIMIT; (3) one less
ldr instruction.

If that comparison fails, then branch to a version which checks
TI_ADDR_LIMIT.

Here's an example. It's probably wrong as I haven't written ARM in a
long time, but illustrates the idea. Note how the common case takes 4
instructions instead of 12 in the current code:

__get_user_4:
cmp r0,#0x02000000
4: ldrlst r1, [r0]
movls r0, #0
movls pc, lr
bic r1, sp, #0x1f00
bic r1, r1, #0x00ff
str lr, [sp, #-4]!
ldr r1, [r1, #TI_ADDR_LIMIT]
sub r1, r1, #4
cmp r0, r1
14: ldrls r1, [r0]
movls r0, #0
ldmfdls sp!, {pc}^
b __get_user_bad

-- Jamie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.096 / U:0.028 seconds]