    SubjectRe: Inclusion of UML in 2.6.8
    Paul Jackson <> wrote:
    > > I'm looking at quilt
    > Good tool.
    > It's a bit like a loaded gun with no safety. You will learn a few new
    > ways to shoot your foot off, and become good at first aid. You will
    > want someway to keep personal revision history of your patches, to aid
    > in such repair work. CVS or RCS or local bitkeeper or (for ancient
    > hackers like me) raw SCCS or some such. Quilt handles the patches, but
    > in and of itself has nothing to do with preserving history.
    > All software is divided into two parts - the concrete and the fluid.
    > Once something is accepted into the main kernel, it's concrete. You can
    > never go back - you can only layer fixes on top. Bitkeeper rules for
    > this stuff.
    > But work in progress, for which oneself is still the primary source, is
    > fluid. You can slice and dice and redo it, and indeed you want to, to
    > get the best patch set. Quilt and friends rule for this stuff.

    Good description, that. quilt is a grown-up version of patch-scripts, and
    is tailored to what I do, and to what distributors do: maintain a series of
    diffs against a monolithic tree which someone else maintains.

    > Conclusion - use Quilt (with your favorite personal version control) on
    > top of Bitkeeper.

    yup. I use patch-scripts+CVS in the way which you describe.

    > Question - what tools are available for convenient patch set submission?
    > Composing multiple, related email sets in a GUI emailer is a bit tedious
    > and error prone. It's an obvious candidate for scripting.

    patch-scripts has the "patch-bomb" script, which would presumably work OK
    for quilt - it would need a little tweaking.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.020 / U:15.348 seconds]