SubjectRe: Elastic Quota File System (EQFS)
Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:

> Fao, Sean wrote:

>>> We should get our basics right first. We _do_ need quotas!! Without
>>> any quota system how are we going to avoid a malicious user from
>>> taking away all the space to keep other people starving? In EQFS
>>> also this can happen, but we are giving *controlled flexibility* to
>>> the user. He is having some stretching power but not beyond a
>>> certain limit. And do you think users are sincere enough to clean up
>>> there files when they are done?
>>

>> And I suppose you think that users will be sincere enough to mark
>> files as elastic? I, for one, already said that I absolutely would
>> *not* mark a single file as elastic. If I'm using 110 MB and you
>> need an additional 10 MB for storage, you won't be getting it from me
>> because I don't want to come in some morning to find that a file has
>> disappeared.
>>
>> The system that you're asking for is a system without quotas. Think
>> about what you're saying.
>

> I think you missed one of the main points - you don't get any extra
> space until you mark some of your files as elastic.
> You're right - under this system, nobody would get any space from
> deletion of your files because you would use the system as a normal
> hard quota system - you would mark no files as elastic, and would
> therefore be limited to your quota (in the example you gave, you would
> not be using 110M, because your quota would have limited you to
> 100M). If you were so kind as to mark something as elastic (say, that
> recently doneloaded install tarball of the Gimp), then you would
> remove the storage taken by those files from your quota usage and
> would have more space available, with the risk that the elastic files
> might not stick around.

You're right; I did missunderstand one of the main points. I was under
the impression that I could take whatever I needed, as long as it were
available. This does change my view on the subject, somewhat.

Thanks for clearing that up,

Sean

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.057 / U:0.920 seconds]