    SubjectRe: Elastic Quota File System (EQFS)
    Pavel Machek wrote:

    >>>What action should be taken can be specified by the user while making the
    >>>files elastic. He can either opt to delete the file, compress it or move it
    >>>to some place (backup) where he know he has write access. The corresponding
    >>>

    >>- having files disappear at the discretion of the filesystem seems to be
    >> bad behaviour: either I need this file, then I do not want it to just
    >> disappear, or I do not need it, and then I can delete it myself.
    >>

    >Actually, think .o or mozilla cache files... You don't need them, but if you have them,
    >things are faster.

    I fail to understand the point you're trying to make. Are you
    suggesting that a feature doesn't necessarily have to be implemented,
    just because it's there? If so, the proposed idea on the "elastic" file
    system differs greatly. Cached content, for instance, speeds up the
    browsing experience *without* hindering the ability of the application
    to function normally. Caching is a true enhancement --in most
    circumstances. I can personally see no way to implement EQFS without
    greatly exasperating end users with its shortcomings.

    Sean

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:4.815 / U:0.064 seconds]