    SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
    On 22 Jun 04 at 4:06, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > To make the last recent example we had to break the source API with the
    > drivers to fix the release_pages race that Andrew found and fixed in
    > mainline too. That changes page->count into page->_count and quite some
    > drivers broke even outside the kernel. I had the choice of not breaking

    FYI, vmware modules broke during your change because 2.4.20-xx kernels from
    RedHat moved page_count() from linux/mm.h to linux/mm_inline.h, and made
    it unavailable for non-GPL modules. So we had to do

    #ifndef page_count
    #define page_count(p) (p)->count
    #endif

    and this #ifndef test was broken by making page_count inline function.

    But I'd like to publicly thank you for your effort, I really appreciate
    it.
    Best regards,
    Petr Vandrovec

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.036 / U:61.264 seconds]