SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
On 22 Jun 04 at 4:06, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> To make the last recent example we had to break the source API with the
> drivers to fix the release_pages race that Andrew found and fixed in
> mainline too. That changes page->count into page->_count and quite some
> drivers broke even outside the kernel. I had the choice of not breaking

FYI, vmware modules broke during your change because 2.4.20-xx kernels from
RedHat moved page_count() from linux/mm.h to linux/mm_inline.h, and made
it unavailable for non-GPL modules. So we had to do

#ifndef page_count
#define page_count(p) (p)->count
#endif

and this #ifndef test was broken by making page_count inline function.

But I'd like to publicly thank you for your effort, I really appreciate
it.
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec