SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Ryan Anderson wrote:
>>>What do I need commercial OSS for after all when Alsa works well for me?
>>Well, for what it's worth, there are a few devices out there for which
>>there is no open source driver:
>>0000:02:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs [SB Live! Value]
>>(Dell Dimension 2100, *I think* - it's at work right, and I'm not)
>>I believe 4Front provides the only driver for that specific device (it's
>>a crippled EMU10k1, probably what could be called a "WinSoundchip")
> So what? If the mutilated hardware requires a commercial driver one
> might as well spend the third-party driver cost on better hardware.

The beauty of FOSS is that people have a *choice* of where to spend
their money. If you prefer an o/s which limits your choices there is
one... upgrade the hardware is not always a choice, not all Linux
systems are PCs, even the Intel-based systems.

-bill davidsen (