    SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
    Matthias Andree wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Ryan Anderson wrote:
    >>>What do I need commercial OSS for after all when Alsa works well for me?
    >>Well, for what it's worth, there are a few devices out there for which
    >>there is no open source driver:
    >>0000:02:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs [SB Live! Value]
    >>(Dell Dimension 2100, *I think* - it's at work right, and I'm not)
    >>I believe 4Front provides the only driver for that specific device (it's
    >>a crippled EMU10k1, probably what could be called a "WinSoundchip")
    > So what? If the mutilated hardware requires a commercial driver one
    > might as well spend the third-party driver cost on better hardware.

    The beauty of FOSS is that people have a *choice* of where to spend
    their money. If you prefer an o/s which limits your choices there is
    one... upgrade the hardware is not always a choice, not all Linux
    systems are PCs, even the Intel-based systems.

    -bill davidsen (

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.042 / U:19.340 seconds]