    SubjectRe: DMA API issues
    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:26:11 -0400
    Jeff Garzik <> wrote:

    > Are you purposefully ignoring James?

    No, Im failing to see his point which appears to be that if we modify
    the DMA API it has to work on all platforms, even if it doesnt work on
    them currently.

    > He is saying the DMA API must be uniform across all platforms. Your
    > proposal
    > 1) breaks this

    How? I havent proposed any alteration to the API, just the allocation
    system inside it. No drivers would need modification and any platform
    not using these allocators would continue to not use them just as it
    currently does(nt).

    > 2) is unneeded, as many other drivers in this same situation simply
    > use ioremap

    Except that the OHCI driver (for example) doesnt. it uses the DMA API
    (quite rightly) and to use ioremap would mean creating two ohci drivers,
    one using the DMA API and one not, which is wasteful and asking for

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:0.928 seconds]